Jogging can be fun but attention must be given to the jogger's safety in view of some reported attacks perpetrated on some joggers. A jogger must always bear in mind that nobody is immune from crimes; as it can happen to another person, it can also happen to him. By keeping himself alert and aware of what is going on around him, a jogger can minimize the likelihood of becoming a victim of a crime.
The most common problem in jogging is that the jogger is very much engrossed on what he is doing that he fails to pay attention to what is happening around him. Sometimes, a jogger is not even aware of where he is at as he focuses his whole attention on the rise and fall of his feet. His feet might lead him to a not-so-secured area without even knowing it, so his security is jeopardized.
The following are the most common safety tips for joggers:
- Jog with someone you know. There is always security in numbers so jogging with a companion could be a good deterrent to possible criminal attack. It will also prevent the loss of attention which is common to a lone jogger as the presence of a companion may require him to turn his head when he talks, enabling him to glance at his surroundings. A jogger, however, must not just jog with a stranger he saw jogging in the same street as he could not be sure of the person's intention - he may just be looking for a possible victim.
- Jog in an area you are very familiar with. Jogging in an area where you are not known and where you know nobody could be an open invitation for an attack. Jog instead in an area you thoroughly know and where you know some people so it will be easy to seek help when you need it.
- Avoid jogging in secluded areas - Avoid jogging in areas that are not frequented by people because somebody with evil intention could just be lurking around. It will be safer to jog in places where there are lots of people, especially joggers.
- Avoid jogging after dark - Keep in mind that there could be danger in the dark so avoid jogging when it is already dark. If jogging cannot be avoided after dark, make sure to jog in populated areas, especially near or around where you live, and do it with a trusted companion.
- Jog against the flow of traffic - Maintain eye contact with the driver of an oncoming vehicle to make sure that he sees you and you can figure out also what he is doing. You will see if a driver will swerve his vehicle towards you or if he is pulling over to where you are running. It will be too risky to jog with vehicles in your back.
- Do not jog in the same route and pattern - You have to change your route and the pattern of your jogging so nobody can be out there waiting for you on the exact place and the exact time every day.
Jogging is enjoyable if you will not be burdened by thoughts of your security all the time. You can avoid this situation by practicing the safety tips mentioned above.